EAPN in partnership with the Independent Development Fund (IDF), DENIVA and GoBig Hub facilitated the establishment of the Uganda National Philanthropy Forum. The objective of the forum is to explore strategies of consolidating and organizing the philanthropy sector in Uganda.
• Provide a platform to share best practices, learn and foster collaboration among foundations- The national forum should seek to foster dialogue and consolidate efforts to focus on promoting philanthropy, cooperation and accountability in Uganda.
• Enhance the operating environment for philanthropy in Uganda – the forum seeks to form a collective voice for advancing a better policy and legal environment that promotes local philanthropy in Uganda. The forum should also serve as a focal point when the sector needs to initiate discussions with the governments development agencies and the general public on different areas of interest at the country level.
• Generate knowledge and create awareness on the contribution of local philanthropy to national development. Generate, consolidate and share philanthropy data– there is limited data on how the contribution of philanthropy to the national and global development plans.
• Private and public foundations (family, corporate, community, faith-based and individuals foundations) established or operating in Uganda
• Individuals philanthropists/high net worth
• Companies (with giving programmes)
• Philanthropy Support organizations
Philanthropy Data Management
EAPN in partnership with the Foundation Centre and through respective national philanthropy forums in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania is implementing the Philanthropy Data Strategy and Capacity Building Programme that seeks to develop a collective approach to collecting and managing philanthropy data in East Africa. The ultimate goal is the development of a local Philanthropy Data System – that would regularly capture and analyze reliable data on philanthropy actors, giving trends, programme strategies, best practices and financial contributions at the national level.
Respective national philanthropy forums passed a proposal to develop a prototype that would demonstrate the potential of the proposed data system. For these EAPN and the Foundation Centre designed an online template to collect data to be fed onto the protype. Data collection is ongoing
Note: Click on the linked heading text to expand or collapse accordion panels.